Friday 17 March 2017

Warli Buddha on Tea Coaster.....

Hi Friends,
I am going to start this post with the good news (smiley~~~). One of the art lover and an entrepreneur liked my Warli Buddha in last weeks post. He has given me order for hand painted tea coasters for his art studio cum coffee shop. So soon my Warli Buddha is going to rock on his front desk (smiley~~) and my spiritual knowledge is going to get broaden while working on this art.

Yesterday night after finishing my routine core, I started working on this assignment and finished with the first tea coaster. Please have a look at  the outcome of it.



This is Nirvana Buddha posture. Before starting the explanation of Nirvana Buddha, I would like to explain, what these postures are all about. Buddhism has different traditional (around 100) poses of Buddha, called as asana or an Attitude. Each pose has a significance related to an important event in the the life of Buddha. Each posture will have a specific hand gesture, called as Mudra, associated with the posture.
So let us have a spiritual senses awaken, before reading the concept of Nirvana. Nirvana is a transcendent state in which neither suffering, desire, nor sense of self exist, and the subject is released from the effects of karma and the cycle of death and rebirth. It represents the final goal of Buddhism. So Nirvana Buddha depicts the last moments of life of Buddha on earth, prior to the Buddha dying one last time before entering Nirvana. As Buddha has gained enlightenment in his lifetime, so that he was able to escape the endless cycle of birth - death - rebirth and entered Nirvana. In this pose, the Buddha is always depicted lying on the right hand side on top of a resting table. One of the most well-known examples of this statue is enshrined at Wat Pho in Bangkok, Thailand. This is my dear hubby in below pic of Wat Pho. 


Experience on working with wooden tea coaster was quite new and challenging. It required many coats of paint and gives little patchy look of colors, which I found natural and unique. But I have enjoyed it altogether.

So do write me about your opinion on my modern Warli Buddha in Nirvana posture. Now some more are going to be done by me in next posts.

Linking it to Paint Party Friday
Thanks to Eva and Kristen for hosting.






6 comments:

  1. First of all thank you for your great explanation of the pose. Congrats on getting recognized! Your coaster is beautiful. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow congratulations. I would be smiling too. Your coasters are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appu re, very beautiful art work by you on the wooden coasters. And the explanation about the pose was very helpful in understanding about Buddha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruchi. Some more to come in coming days about warli buddha...to enlighten all of us :).

      Delete